View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 11:05 AM   #35
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Lacrimosa_Umbrae
Sure, but then, what is the exact difference between a minority and a harassed group?
Women are discriminated, but they're not a minority (in fact, I think there are more women than men in the world- the number is not significant, but it's slightly bigger I think). If you put black, asian, and latino people together, for sure there are bigger in number than white people; and yet they're discriminated.
I'm not saying that our problems are as big as the ones those groups have... but yet, isn't the underlying problem the same? Fear for what is different?

And we still are subculture. Sub-CULTURE. I think I didn't manage to make myself understood, but what I meant was more in the lines of "are we different enough from the stablished society as to be considered a group apart from it?".
Women are a minority. What makes a minority is not actual numbers of members, but that they are the oppressed group.

And honestly, my point was this: if you're a woman and being discriminated against, you cannot easily change who you are.
If you're goth and you can't handle being discriminated against, change your clothes. It's that simple. You can still be goth and not be so flashy about it. The other things aren't that simple.
Not only that, but people are murdered for being gay, female, black, whatever. Not for being goth. It isn't a big deal.

You choose to be goth. If you can't handle it, that doesn't make you a minority, it just means you have to deal with it, find a way to cope, or change.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote