View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 09:51 AM   #45
Rae Ven Rae

my two cents

I am the member of a minority (black), so I understand the point of saying that certain subcultures can change to accommodate narrow minds, but as a goth, I have to say that we shouldn't be forced to conform our likes, tastes, dislikes or what we like to wear to please others. When you do that you start a dangerous precedent of living your life to please other people. I did that for years and it left me suicidal and unhappy -- because I wasn't being true to myself.

Then one day I had an epiphany. No matter what you do or say, not everyone will like you, agree with you -- hell, some people might not like your eye color hair or height. The problem isn't with you, it is them.

Dr Suess said it best when he penned, "Be yourself , cause those who matter don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter"

I kept that saying close to my heart and now I am unabashedly me. Someone doesn't like it --they can eat it. They get into my face, they get it back even harder.

I bow, scrape and submit to no man.

Our clothing is as much an expression of who we are as the music we like and the movies we watch --it is an expression of self. If someone said, hey don't buy that CD or listen to that music -- don't eat that sandwich or cut your hair that way, or we will snub you -- would you do it?

If so, you are already a slave to the machine, or as a good friend of mine would say, grist for the mill.

In a free society, no one should be forced to wear khaki pants and blue button downs if that isn't their cup of tee. What makes the world vibrant and interesting is diversity -- diversity shouldn't be brow beaten into submission by narrow minded, ignorant folks -- if this were the case --I'd probably still be in shackles and chains and told I couldn't use a white man's toilet. No hun. It is society who must change-- yes some will be brow beaten along the way, but it is the ones who stand up for themselves who will pave the way for other people's ability to be whoever they want to be, and express it any way they see fit without fear , intimidation and brainwashing to conform.
Rae Ven Rae is offline   Reply With Quote