View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #49
Rae Ven Rae

You are right -- Goth is not technically a minority as defined by the census bureau -- it is a subculture. But when you couple the literal translation of what a minority is, then it isn't simply being a part of an oppressed group, but also, being "small in number" . In this regard, Goth IS a minority -- it depends on what angle you are looking at the definition.

Where ignorance and prejudice is a problem it must be stamped out. We shouldn't say it is the fault of the free thinker that the world is unable to fathom him -- it is the mobs fault.

Many a great man would have never come to be if they had allowed society to dictate their actions. Like Martin Luther King -- or Ghandi.

I am sure people were telling them to shut the hell up -- play nice. Don't make waves.

But they didn't let society change them. They changed society.

Even though people died -- and were called names -- and picked on.

It was a price paid for freedom.

Let's not de-evolve in our thinking. Stand up to bullies -- and be who you are, no matter what.

Slavery ended for my people a couple of hundred years ago -- but people are still being enslaved with rhetoric and the call to force people to be like everyone else.

Ralph Waldo Ermerson wrote one of my fave essays which was called SELF RELIANCE. In it, he states that society will whip you with it's displeasure any time you dare to think outside the box.

He also said that it is the duty of the free thinker to be themselves no matter how society reacts to him.

I am not a slave.

I am free.

It is the man who cannot accept that who is a slave.

Why bow down to a servant.

Invicitus says we are the captains of our fates and the masters of our souls--if we allow idiots to force us to run home and dress like J-Lo, then we are robots -- not men.

We are slaves.
Rae Ven Rae is offline   Reply With Quote