View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
FistsofFury

(PART 5 of She Asked: "Why Bother?")

“It isn’t a big deal if no one comes along for a while. We’ve both experienced it…years without significant others! It isn’t so bad right?” Connie shrugged. Reginald looked at the ground for a moment and then also glumly shrugged.

“Yes! Normal is normal for a reason! Average, consistent…satisfactory and predictable! These are good things!” Reginald had cast his gaze to the horizon and it rendered his faze glum and distant. Connie did not know what in the world Reginald was talking about so she didn’t say anything.

“I didn’t think you’d say yes…I just wanted to try. I’m practicing taking risks.”

“So you didn’t want to go out with me?” Constance glared at him with a tilted head.

“I did not say that! It doesn’t matter anyway!” Reginald’s said it with an awkwardly loud voice and he said it too quickly. A car drove past them with bass so heavy the license plate rattled. The song was by the Georgia rapper Radric Davis, also known as Gucci Mane.

“At least you’re a talented artist right?”

“Lady I’m firmly among the ranks of striving amateurs. Goodnight Ms. Montreux.” Reg glumly waved and then awkwardly waited as Constance got into her automobile. As she turned the ignition he ambled off further down the street.

As Constance set her purse aside she looked up. The sky was a blurred collection of pink and orange. The buildings just grey boxes being swallowed by approaching shadows. As she pulled away she wondered what she had gotten so worked up about. It was just a date. One of many. The important thing was taking risks. As the businesses on the streets became houses and she drove farther uptown Constance Monteux confirmed inwardly her appreciation for trying new things. She did not go out of dates a lot because dating was not a major priority for her. As she merged onto the freeway she thought about intangible things she was certain of. She was not looking for someone to complete her or any other manufactured myth about love. She knew she wanted a love based on values and respect. She knew the regret of inaction was more painful the dagger of betrayal. She knew relationships could fizzle out for no reason and people that were once ‘perfect for each other’ could grow apart. She knew when to quit: when the mutual respect was gone. So what was there to be afraid of? As she drove she felt clueless about love. She was happy that she didn’t care much for love anyway.

#######END-_-
FistsofFury is offline   Reply With Quote