View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 03:47 AM   #5
Ben Lahnger

A TRIP TO TENERIFE - 03
As many of you know from my posts in "Random" at the time, on January 3rd, my Mother suffered a collapse. This trip was initially planned for my Father and Mother to take together. However, the legal and medical ramifications of this unfortunate episode meant that she could not go on this trip. The Spanish people have a saying, "There is no ill out of which some good does not come." The good that came out of the ill of my Mother's problem was that our family grew closer, and I got to go on this once-in-a-lifetime trip with my Father. * This note as an newly added post-travel bonus: My Father and I now end each phone call with "I Love You", which would have been awkward and unheard of before given the previous family history. And that is a very good thing.

Friday, February 3, 2006:
We left Chicago on KLM Royal Dutch Airlines flight #612 at 4:15 p.m. on a Boeing 747 to Amsterdam in The Netherlands. This plane carries 461 passengers and is 10 seats wide with 2 aisles. The flight was 7.75 hours, and since Amsterdam is 7 hours ahead of us, we were scheduled to arrive at 7:00 a.m on Saturday. We flew at 31,000 feet and the temperature outside the plane reached 85 degrees (Fahrenheit) below zero. We flew through the airspace over Nova Scotia, just south of Greenland and Iceland, and across Scotland and England. KLM really takes good care of their passengers as we were served both a full evening meal and a full breakfast. We were offered drinks many times (the Heineken was very good!) and snacks as well. On the other legs of our journey we were given frequent eats, and I was overall very impressed with the service on all the international flights. I was so impressed with the KLM 747 that I bought this postcard:

A KLM Airlines 747 Jumbo Jet, With Tulips

Saturday, February 4, 2006:

We were amazed that it was still dark in Amsterdam at 8:00 a.m, but it was cloudy and rainy and they are located quite a bit further north of us, so I suppose this is to be expected. As our next flight did not depart until 12:40 p.m., we did a bit of shopping at Schiphol Airport. I was wearing a Green Bay Packer jacket, and a woman from the western part of Wisconsin who was headed to Stockholm stopped to talk to me. The flight to Barcelona was on a KLM Boeing 737 which holds 147 passengers. The flight lasted 2 hours and 10 minutes, so we arrived in Barcelona at 2:50 p.m. amd we flew over the Pyrenees Mountains. The temperature in Barcelona was 70 degrees. Tenerife is about 1000 miles south of there, so we were expectin warm weather.

We left Barcelona at 5:00 p.m. on Aero Europa airlines and arrived at Tenerife North airport at 7:45 p.m. - Tenerife has a north and south airport. For an island that is approximately 60 miles across at the longest point, that seems excessive, but with all the tourism maybe it makes sense. The north airport was 20 minues by taxi from our resort. As we were descending into Puerto de La Cruz, we could see Mount Teide. The snow capped peak of this volcano was impressively majestic in the evening sky. The view of the mountain sloping to the sea was quite spectacular both from the plane flying in and during the taxi ride to our resort.

Here are some more postcard photos:

Tenerife's Northeast Side, From Mt. Teide To Puerta De La Cruz

Aerial View Of Puerta De La Cruz

Our hotel is visible in the picture below: the red roof below the letters TENE.

Close Up View Of Puerta De La Cruz

PLEASE RESERVE COMMENTS UNTIL I COMPLETE POSTING ALL THE ENTRIES.
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote