Thread: Rant Thread II
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #7066
Solumina

The rail station is a fair bit away and the public transit around here doesn't quite reach our property (the bus does stop at the park maybe 1/4 mile away but there are no sidewalks), though you could take a taxi or rent a car.

I'm not gonna lie the game room leaves a lot to be desired, it only has a handful of arcade games and a couple of snack machines and that is all there is, the only people who actually seem to enjoy it are bored 13 year olds whose parents don't want to do anything but lounge around the pools (which the game room is right off of).

Our activities department is better cuz I'm in it . We are also much larger than our sister resort so we are able to provide more of a variety of activities and have a larger space to use for activities, we also have a much more pleasant manager who actually cares about her staff so we are all much happier and it shows. You can access our list of sports and stuff online but we will be offering a lot more events once things start picking up around the beginning of April (off season is super boring around here).

We actually have two restaurants on property (Greensprings does not but both are open to the public). The Kitchen restaurant is fine dining and that is the one with the dishes that you mentioned, the food is quite good but, while they brag about our sustainable garden and having local food the only stuff that we grow on property are the herbs and figs and of the rest of the food only some of the seafood is locally sourced (our new chef is working with the new food and bev manager to improve this but has made little progress so far, then again they pretty much completely overhauled our other restaurant so they haven't been able to devote much time to it yet). The Grill is our casual dining restaurant, it was recently renovated and has a new menu, it just reopened earlier this week so I haven't checked it out yet but I have heard that it has improved substantially (as it used to be pretty blah, not bad just nothing special). That being said I wouldn't really recommend either, at least not if you were interested in going out for dinner (if you don't feel like driving or just want something convenient then they are great options), not that I think you would be unhappy with them but there are just so many truly outstanding restaurants in the area that I would feel compelled to recommend first.

Unfortunately for this place the company that built it slowly went out of business, Powhatan and Greensprings were the last of their resorts to be sold off and it really shows that things weren't kept up while the company was going under. Diamond has been (very) slowly renovating both properties (things have been easier and faster at Greensprings as the resort is newer and about half the size), thankfully our new (well newish he started last year) GM has been pretty aggressive about fixing the place up, there are just a lot of issues from past management that he is having to clean up. Honestly if he is able to keep going the way that he has been I think the resort will really be a great place again by next year, I mean since he started last year we have remodeled the restaurant one, redecorated the front lobby, re-paved most of the roads, and are currently restoring the manor house and renovating the recreation center, additionally there have been stricter quality controls and a faster pace for unit renovations, so the guy is making a lot of progress, unfortunately our last three GMs were just a little more concerned with lining their own pockets than doing anything for the property.

Edit:err wow that ended up getting long, guess there was just a little pent up frustration that wanted to come out. Also if you do decide to visit Williamsburg but don't stay at this place I'll still make you cookies.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote