View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #3653
Jaye Jang

I got this crazy idea to Google my great-grandfather's name, and got the shock of my life. I logged his name into Google and it took me straight to a website called "Findagrave.c*m." I was looking at his headstone!!! Along with his birth and death dates, and a listing of the family members, including my great-great grandfather, who was full-blood Cherokee. Why this really made my day is that my mom died 1-1/2 years ago, and when my great-great aunt died this year, she took the family name to her grave, so there were no more relatives on my mom's side of the family. Period. So I was feeling like an orphan. I knew I had relatives on my late dad's side (on this side of the country), but I felt like I'd lost half my family. Then I found out, to my surprise, that the grave blog for my great grandparents is maintained by a distant cousin I didn't even know I had, and through her I've discovered a whole slew of relatives on my mom's side of the family. I was so excited I could hardly sit still. I have family!! I don't feel like an orphan anymore.
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote