View Single Post
Old 07-03-2005, 12:31 PM   #904
pitseleh

I saw Factotum at the local movie theater. You know, the one abot Henry Chinaski, or Charles Bukowski if you will. Directed by Bengt Hamer, who is norwegian, and starring Matt Dillon as Chinaski. Good casting, that, and the movie in general is blessed with a well-acting cast who maintain the tension throughout, and don't over-play the relatively sparse dialogue.

I'm a big fan of Bukowski, so I just had to see this.

The pacing makes it unsuitable for the most action-hungry film buffs, but along with the vague and grittily poetic dialogue it males for a sober, kinda, heh, zen-like film, if that's possible with so much drinking involved.

It was funny though, as only a slice of social realism about an alcoholized, horse-playing, oft-fired working stiff can be. Bukowski's books make me laugh so hard, but on film the laughter kinda catches in your throat a bit more, seeing the degradation Henry Chinaski must face. Plus there was only like seven people there, so I didn't wanna LOL like a crazy pervert.

The fucked-up relationship dynamics depicted sometimes felt almost romantic despite their inherent base in hopelessness and spite. Gross, but brilliantly played out nonetheless.

Good hour and thirty minutes (or was it longer?).

ps: Nice to ^see^ you, eyesofatragedy!
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote