Thread: Recomendations
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 05:53 PM   #9
Temptation

Wow, thanks I really appreciate the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Eccentric Cellist
American Gods~ Neil Gaiman Heavy read for most, mythological references, very good fantasy.
Fragile Things~ a collection of Neil Gaiman's Short stories and a few poems, pretty much all fantasy, a pinch of Sci-fi, a splash of horror, and it's very good.

Anything by Holly Black(Tithe and Valiant)~ Both fantasy set in the city, a couple of Gothic references in the latter that I could find. A modern Faerytale that is amazing.

Don't limit your book choices! I did that and now thoroughly regret it. So Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks. Set in 1665, The Plague has hit the town and they have decided to quarantine themselves in their town.

Libba Bray's A Great and Terrible Beauty followed by the sequel Rebel Angels Wonderful horrific fantasy, set in England in the early to mid-1800's, I think.
I don't really limit what I read, I just posted the two types I like the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Aah, you've read Dan Simmons!
Well, if you want horror and fantasy, buy his book The Hollow Man. You'll love it.
Yea hes my second favirote author. Thanks I've been wanting to read more by him, but i didn't know what book to buy next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel
I'd probably have to recommend the classics:

Anne Rice - The Vampire Chronicles
Gaston Leroux - The Phantom of the Opera
James Joyce - Dubliners
Oscar Wilde - The Picture of Dorian Grey & The Importance of Being Earnest (which strictly speaking is a play, but it's still hilarious) & his stories
Charles Dickens - The Christmas Books
John Cleland - Fanny Hill
Bram Stoker - Dracula
Edgar Allan Poe - pretty much anything he wrote
Mary Shelley - Frankenstein
Terry Prachett - the Discworld books
Douglas Addams - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Sheridan LeFanu - Carmilla
Charles Baudelaire - Flowers of Evil (Les Fleurs du Mal)
I've read a little bit of the vampire chronicles, i think it was Interview with the Vampire.
I love the Phantom of the Opera, I've seen the movie, play and i own the sountrack.
I've read a few things by Oscar Wilde but only some free stuff I found online. I wasen't sure if I should buy a book or not.
I have read multiple Edgar Allan Poe classics. My favorite poem is Alone.
Temptation is offline   Reply With Quote