View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #136
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
I am not making the claim that this is caused by lack of access. You're either bad at making logical conclusions, or intentionally straw-manning me. Considering your usual approach is most likely the latter. Human beings aren't pre-ordained to follow a particular set of behaviors from birth, those are influenced by internal factors like a person's psychology, and external factors experience, and environment.

If there is a psychological explanation for why something happens, then a better approach to giving people the help they need can make eventualities like this less likely to happen.
Liar liar pants on fire, your very first post was bemoaning how mental healthcare is too expensive and this is primarily to blame.

Quote:
Again, have fun with your **** chat.
So talking in depth about the murder of children is okay to you, but not rrape?

Quote:
So go argue with the NRA, I'm not calling for a database.
no, but you are discriminating against the mentally ill as if we're just itching to shoot up places if we don't get healthcare.

Quote:
Whites make up 70% of the US population, and the middle class close to that number. That is a huge sample. That is the answer to your question. White middle class guys are far more likely because there are far more of them.
Where are you getting your numbers? Non-Hispanic whites make 63% percent(http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/b...c2010br-02.pdf). So lets say half of that is male, and we come to 31.5% of the population being white male, regardless of class. I'm not so good with statistics to be able to calculate how much of the middle class is male, since a lot of it goes by household anyway, so let's say most white men are middle class, 75%? Now we're down to 23.6 of the population. So why aren't white middle class males representing 23.6% of mass murderers, instead of 80%? Even if every single white guy was middle class, why wouldn't they just be representing 31.5%? Especially when they are underrepresented in all other violent crimes compared to men of colour? Why has only one mass murderer in the last 30 years been a woman?

Quote:
OK, so the way science works is that at one point you have a possible explanation, and over time and research sometimes you find out what was previously believed was inaccurate or incorrect. The DSM was wrong in the past for including things that shouldn't have been considered mental illnesses, and in the future it will classify things that it currently doesn't. That is what I am "even trying to say anymore".
But you're trying to say you know better than criminal psychologists when you say they're wrong for not considering psychopaths mentally ill. Morally, its wrong to pathologize homosexuality or trans*ness. Absyinthe is right in saying the DSM is a product of culture, but in that case, psychopathy has not been included despite armchair psychologists as yourself and the media insisting that it is a mental illness.

I challenge you to even define psychopath, since I'm pretty sure you're just using the meaning you hear in movies and not the actual definition.

Quote:
Systems can have mental illness? Can buildings have them too?
Systems are often racist, sexist, classist, homophobic, ableist, etc. According to you, all evil originates from mental illness, so yes?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote