View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #47
Miss Absynthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
This is true. Even if a given person is very inclined to have violent/aggressive tendencies, it doesn't mean that a violent action is a necessarily going to follow.

This is clearly a really charged subject.

As more details come out, it's becoming more clear that the guy was damaged. I mean, aside from the whole shooting up a school part. Now it's become known the guy was freaking out his mother after she caught him burning himself with a lighter.

Self-injury is a definite sign that something was wrong. Obviously not everyone who hurts themselves is going to shoot up a school, but those actions speak to emotional problems / mental health issues that merit intervention. It's worth asking, if someone had stepped in could this have been averted? Maybe, maybe not. It's clear this is a person who should have had help, and despite the social class he was in, he didn't get it.

That mother was aware of her kid's problems, and was either unaware of how to help him or unwilling to do so. I don't know how much medical intervention would affect the larger statistics, but it's looking more and more like it might have made a difference in this one.
I know that I said that I was going to stay away, but I also knew that this sort of shit was going to happen.

There is so much wrong with the things you've said here that I don't have time to address your points before I leave for work.

I am curious, though - what happens if a person who "self-injures" doesn't want intervention? What do you propose then? What other signs and symptoms do you propose warrant intervention?
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote