View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #19
AshleyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
If your case is that you don't tolerate hate speech, why complicate it by making an argument against free speech?
Because YES. Liberals care more for the concept than the security of the oppressed against hate speech. And they'll just say "Be brave. It gets better." instead of actually creating laws, policies, and education that would actually DO something about hate speech. Of course the thing is that those who enjoy the privilege of hate speech will decry that we're taking their right to free speech away. Well perhaps people have a right to NOT BE ASSAULTED with hate speech. There's a massive difference between being offended at a truth being said and being terrorized by speech that demeans you. I make a case against it because liberals tend to say some apologetic shit like, "I don't like what you're saying, but I'll defend your right to say it."

You may as well be saying that "Go ahead and say whatever you like no matter how damaging it is. I'm not really going to do anything about it short of maybe wag my finger at you."

Quote:
I would argue "no." for instance, what foxnews does should be illegal. They DID manage to gain the legal right to lie by appealing to freedom of the press, which is inappropriate no matter how you slice it.
But freedom of press, bro! Anyone should already know better! Buyer beware and all that.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote