View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Saya

Comics Sans Shitstorm.

The thread title will totally make sense a year from now.

Anyway, didn't really want to continually post in a thread about the DC Reboot when talking about comics that aren't involved in the reboot, or now that I'm relatively over the reboot and ready to just read and pretend it was all a bad dream. Plus this way we can talk about stuff that isn't DC. So, whatchya reading?

Went to the comic book store but they aren't getting the DC titles in for another few days, apparently they like to focus on Marvel. Sooooo I think I might go to the other store downtown tomorrow morning.

But while I was there I picked up Retroactive: Wonder Woman -The 90s. I wasn't going to pick up any of her Retroactives, I didn't hear good reviews for the first two, but I saw this on tumblr the other day and it cracked me up:

And its pretty good. Very kiddy, but its the kind of thing that I would have LOVED when I was a kid. Very much in line with the whole "Girl Power" thing of the 90s, but it wasn't as superficial as when the Spice Girls did it. Basically she's taking care of these kids and training them like she was trained when she was little, but all they want to do is read magazines and talk about boys and play house. But after she says they can go back to that, they realize its not as interesting as building a steam engine and start to enjoy being active.

Again, very kiddy, but it made me start thinking "Is Wonder Woman alluding back to the first wave of feminism in which some feminists thought that frivolous things like fashion distract women from bettering themselves in other ways? But in keeping their club name "The Blossoms", obviously they're not saying that they want to be masculine, its not being girly that's the problem..." And that was my bus ride home.

Its also hilarious, if it helps. And after that they have the issue "A Sudden Deadly Leap" which was the first issue of a pretty good arch.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote