View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #132
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Except that this is somehow caused by lack of access to mental healthcare and this is inevitable and this will always happen. If its a deterministic view you have, you've made this argument.
I am not making the claim that this is caused by lack of access. You're either bad at making logical conclusions, or intentionally straw-manning me. Considering your usual approach is most likely the latter. Human beings aren't pre-ordained to follow a particular set of behaviors from birth, those are influenced by internal factors like a person's psychology, and external factors experience, and environment.

If there is a psychological explanation for why something happens, then a better approach to giving people the help they need can make eventualities like this less likely to happen.

Quote:
Most people who rrape children are not pedos, and besides I was talking about pederasty. They're often heterosexual men who rrape because guess what? Rrape is about power and not about sex. The Romans and white slave owners believed it was well within your right to assert your dominance over your "property" in such a way. Its not that at one time all white people were all mentally ill and then got slightly better enough to recognize other people as human.
Again, have fun with your **** chat.

Quote:
No, NRA still calls for a database of the mentally ill. And you're still not answering my question. Why are white men far more likely to be mass murderer, despite the fact that they frequently defy the arguments your making, like poor parenting, poverty or access to healthcare of any kind?
So go argue with the NRA, I'm not calling for a database.

Whites make up 70% of the US population, and the middle class close to that number. That is a huge sample. That is the answer to your question. White middle class guys are far more likely because there are far more of them.

Quote:
Except you don't want that with sociopaths because like I said over and over, sociopaths are actually made worse by therapy. And I don't get how you're qualified to say that the DSM, in no contradiction to the WHO, does not use a criminal justice term or diagnosis. Because once they were wrong and that will mean they're always wrong? What are you even trying to say anymore?
OK, so the way science works is that at one point you have a possible explanation, and over time and research sometimes you find out what was previously believed was inaccurate or incorrect. The DSM was wrong in the past for including things that shouldn't have been considered mental illnesses, and in the future it will classify things that it currently doesn't. That is what I am "even trying to say anymore".

Quote:
And yet if they had more EMPATHY for the grandmother, he would still be locked up. Funny how what's psychotic in one person is merely a mistake in another.
Systems can have mental illness? Can buildings have them too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
**** isn't mainly perpetuated by people with MI, its usually fuckers who know its wrong and don't care that they're violating the person of the other because they don't see their victims as full people, and think their own whims are more important than the rights and bodily autonomy of another. Last time I checked an overblown sense of entitlement to use the bodies of others isn't a symptom of any mental illness. So yeah, not mentally ill, they're assholes.
Have fun with your **** chat.

Quote:
Your shitty, unsourced stats mean nothing. We don't know how that data was collected and you did a piss poor job explaining what it is even supposed to mean.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/data.html. Are they still shitty?

It is "supposed to mean" exactly what I wrote. Since I guess you didn't read it I'll just re-paste it now.

"Now obviously 1 in 88 people isn't a mass fucking murderer so hopefully that will head off all the "Not everyone with autism is a killer" whining that will inevitably follow regardless. If some very small subset of an already small subset is predisposed when other, external conditions are met, then it makes sense that more will be likely to manifest from the larger pool. You know how like 1% of a large number is "bigger" than 1% of a smaller number? It's kind of like that."

Maybe this isn't related to an autism spectrum disorder at all. Maybe it is something else all together. Perhaps placing a higher priority on mental health like I've been advocating would help find out!

What's your alternative explanation? Sometimes this just happens ex nihilo without any context? Sometimes a perfectly healthy mind just decides "well I could have a burger or I guess go kill me some children, yep mayhem it is."

Quote:
It is incredibly unfair reduce some one to a mental illness, when such a thing seems to be coincidental to what has happened. It is not shared across the board with those who have committed similar acts. What is shared, is that the perpetrators are mostly male, white and in their 20s-early 30's. Love how you don't want to actually address those sorts of things, even though they share a stronger correlation than any single mental illness.
Yes it sure is! Saying someone who needs help should get it is not reducing them to a mental illness.

If I said "white middle class women are more prone to drowning their children in botched suicide attempts" because statistically they are more likely to do so than men, that doesn't mean that gender or race are the primary causal factors.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote