Thread: Eternal life.
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #1348
Saya

Quote:
No. If Aristotle was saying senseless shit like that, I'd have to beg him to prove his point. Are you even arguing the same things here or are you saying that because Aristotle was stupidly and terribly wrong that somehow that makes religion an appropriate substitute for reason? What the actual hell, Saya? Aristotle's opinion of women betrays reason. Logic is a useful tool. But seriously... you can't honestly say that superstitious thinking is an appropriate filler for faulty logic or bad reasoning. Saya, seriously. Since when was belief in unicorns a better solution to a problem than trying to actually figure out how to solve a problem? Damn.
My point is that the man used logic to get to this point, and it wasn't questioned for a very long time because people accepted that logic. You only question sexist logic because to use bell hooks' phrase, you've been converted to feminism. We continually use logic to prove the points we've made up our minds about, not often to seek new knowledge free of bias.

If someone who isn't educated uses faulty logic to get to the same point I'm using logic to get to, I don't think that's a bad thing. We use whatever we have at hand to understand the world. Atheists use bad logic all the time to uphold the status quo they like, and I know religious people who use religious logic to challenge it. So yeah, at times it does seem like I prefer religious people to dudebros who echo thousands of years of sexism.

Quote:
Yeah. And in a communist society, there wont BE a bourgeois feminism. Come on. They're certainly not comrades here. Over time one will necessarily absorb the other, Saya. Some matters actually DO get settled.
Assuming there's ever a communist society, which I'm not sure about. Capitalism isn't forever, but that doesn't necessarily mean communism comes next. God knows if feminism would even survive whatever economic collapse that might happen to destroy capitalism, or any revolution that might be headed by statist revolutionaries. After all, Stalin made abortion criminal for the first time in Russia, there's no guarantee that there will be any feminism allowed.

Quote:
Religion is certainly useful, Saya. But someday; we're all going to have to get to the truth of the matter. Frankly, I don't think it's going to have to take that long. The more the prophecies and divine claims and promises of Heaven get less and less likely to be fulfilled; the more cavalier and casual people are going to be about their religion. I wouldn't be surprised if a significant number of people are religious just because they were raised that way and they observe out of habit instead of actually being convinced of the veracity of a man surviving days inside the belly of a big fuck off fish.
Truth of the matter of what? I'm probably going to be dead before they figure out faster than light speed travel, depressingly. I nor you is going to see the day science has absolutely everything you can possibly think of figured out, and given the vastness of the universe, I doubt that day will ever come.

Until then, there will always be speculation. I don't think Biblical prophecy has any detriment on how things are working out, hell Jesus does not fit the bill of messiah prophecies of the Old Testament, but early Christians weren't too worried about that. The end of days was supposed to come in Jesus's day, and Albert Schweitzer, like you believed him to be a failed revolutionary, and while he was a popular guy, his theory never really took off among Christians. If the Social Gospel Movement is right and there needs to be a thousand years of peace before Jesus will come back, well they got their work cut out ahead of them, it will probably take a thousand years or more to get to that point, and God knows what will happen in that time. So no, I don't really see any time where the hammer falls on religion, unless all of civilization burns down and we have to begin anew, and even then, no guarantee.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote