Thread: Rant Thread II
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #1890
Ben Lahnger

I'm annoyed as hell at the self-centered reality-show-wannabe ignoramus that launched that silver saucer-shaped weather balloon and started the "balloon boy" hoax that got the world's attention on Thursday. This guy is clearly no Mr. Wizard.

Now the parents face possible felony charges including conspiracy, contributing to the delinquency of a minor and attempting to influence a public servant. Some of the most serious charges each carry a maximum sentence of six years in prison and a $500,000 fine. In addition, investigators may have uncovered emails indicating other conspirators were involved in this doofus' attempt to promote himself as a potential reality show. And authorities will attempt to recover the costs associated with the rescue efforts tied to the televised 40 mile rogue balloon flight.

I don't want children separated from their parents (idiots though they are) unless the relationship proves detrimental to the children. So I'm not in favor of them going to jail, per se. But they need to pay. And I want them to not profit or benefit from this hoax. If the case goes to court, I would love to see a ruling that includes paying back the cost of the rescue attempt, some community service, a public apology, maybe a little term of probation ... and the stipulation that if they get a reality TV show or book deal or some other money making opportunity as a result of this stunt, that all proceeds the parents would reap should be divided between college tuition accounts for the children and donations to charity.

No way this "rocket scientist" should profit from this damned crap.

I wonder if any resources were not available to someone with a real crisis while this foolishness was being played out?

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote