View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #41
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
City. Holy crap, you want me to remember the name of a hole-in-the-wall dive bar I used to hang out in decades ago?!? I'd be surprised if the building was still there.

*Hold on ... doing research*

Yep, the section of Main Street it used to be on doesn't even exist any more. The green arrow shows where the building used to stand.

Google Map

Main street used to continue west past the point where it currently turns south and becomes NW Ave; it crossed the Fox River with a lovely little bridge then curved south to cross W. Wisconsin and connect with southwest bound Riverwalk Dr. So the street, the bridge and the bar are all gone. I remember when they eliminated the bridge and turned that end of Main Street into a cul-du-sac, but since then they've eliminated it completely.

But it was a real dive, and a peculiar building. It was very narrow, but long. So there was room for a pinball machine at the front by the door, then the long bar with a single row of bar stools and enough room between them and the wall for foot traffic and a slim video game or two, and there was a pool table (in cramped quarters) and the bathrooms at the far end. I think it was like 12 or 15 feet wide and hundreds of feet long. And ugly too. They didn't really try to keep the building up. Good for nothing much but getting drunk. LOL!

P.S. I grew up in Waukesha County (from 5th grade on) and when I moved out of my parents house I lived in the city of Waukesha for years.
I wonder how much the owner got for the land, that whole area has been improving as you can see on the map as part of the efforts to fix up the downtown. After(for those who don't know) all Waukesha used to be an upper class spa town catering to company founders(such as the founder of sears) and widowed first lady Mary Todd Lincoln. I just wish we could restore the springs to their former glory, rather than the polluted mess they are today. Waukesha used to be a victorian era paradise.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote