Thread: Rant Thread II
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #5423
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
And here's the crux, Saya. I'm willing to agree with you that our notions of gender should melt away. I think it is a more JUST view on the world and I agree with you completely on it. It's why you're a feminist because you seek to break down those barriers. Gender roles are detrimental to our society and you see the unjust in it, DESPITE people feeling that it's important. You STILL war over it. It's no different than my take on atheism. These ideas MUST be challenged, they MUST be shown for what they are, a mistaken injustice on humanity. No one is to blame for honest mistakes, but we are to blame if we perpetuate them after knowing full knowledge of those mistakes.
The reason I'm against gender roles is because I feel its unfair that people believe they must do something because of what is between their legs, or are forced to do something because of what is between their legs.

But gender itself isn't so easy. I don't want to end gender. One in twelve transgendered people in America are murdered. It costs a lot of money, time and pain to get a sex change surgery. What am I to do, tell them that its all in their heads, they don't need surgery? To me, being a woman means nothing except of what society expects of me, but I am speaking from a position of privilege. I have no idea what it feels like to be in a body that doesn't match your identity.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote