View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #221
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Not really. 1) How do you prove its locked up? The cops can't go into your house and make sure its locked up all the time. 2) Lanza was an adult, not a child or a teenager, like many American adults his mother thought guns would be good for protection. I don't think it would have been totally out there if it was left accessible to him he would be able to defend himself should the worst happen. Its not like he was a five year old, she thought he was responsible enough to go shooting with. He would still also be old enough to get a gun of his own, so he could easily do that. Go to a gun show and he wouldn't even have to do a background check.

Also, how do we even ban guns from getting into the hands of the mentally ill? Questionairres are garbage, I know exactly what to say to make myself appear the picture of mental health when it comes to that sort of thing. The only way to do it is to mandate everyone go to therapy and get a clean bill, which is ridiculous, expensive and isn't going to happen.
Impossible to prove whether it is always kept properly locked up, but making every potential purchaser show proof that they own an adequate gun safe or are purchasing one with their firearm at least ensures that the weapon can be secured. I can't prove everyone driving a car is using their seatbelt, but I think every car should have them, and I think failing to use it is a pretty clear example of irresponsible use and ownership. Nancy Lanza's personal assessment of whether her son was responsible enough to handle firearms on his own or not was tragically insufficient.

How to enforce? I'm sure we can figure something out. Periodic inspections might be one possible solution - just like building owners need to show that potential safety issues like elevator service or fire suppression systems are in proper order. Require owners of firearms to have the weapon constantly under the direct supervision of it's owner, either carried on person or securely locked with exclusive access; making reasonable exceptions for transit or servicing. Giving anyone else in the household or out of it uncontrolled access to the firearm; adult, minor, significant other, whoever, is irresponsible ownership.

Maybe a state-approved board of mental health experts can decide how they will determine fitness of mind for firearm purchases, and then issue a certificate that people who qualify for can frame or put on the fridge that will allow them to make the purchase. I'm sure there are other ways.

As you can see, we're already doing (a very poor job of) psychological screening. Why not try to make it actually effective?
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote