View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 12:34 AM   #281
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
You mean like EVERYONE? What? Are you the only human on the planet with no capacity for violence?
Did you know there is a difference between someone having the capacity for violence, and actually presenting a credible threat of doing so?

Quote:
Matter of fact. Why in the world would you even put a gun in the hands of a harmless person? What do you expect them to do with it? Mount it on their wall?
I expect them to own and use them in a responsible, legal, and safe manner. Like at a firing range during designated hours, for example. The people who aren't murdering or assaulting other people and are not very likely to do so are not a very big concern for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant
Most the people who commit mass murder haven't been "adjudicated as a mental defective or committed to a mental institution" So how's that going to help? From what I've read, most of the people who pull this shit don't even have a police record.

Give it a moment maybe and actually THINK about this issue in some sort of depth, instead of continuing to bludgeon the same mushy horse in a strange, fevered manner over and over.
Not actually having been adjudicated or committed doesn't mean someone shouldn't have been, nor does it mean that even if they don't require involuntary hospitalization they don't really need help. It's fascinating that you think it is strange and feverish to not want dangerous individuals to have access to weapons, and to want people who need help to have more opportunities to get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe
Do we ask them? Because even us crazy people know how we're meant to answer that question. I mean, we're crazy but we aren't stupid.
We already do ask them. We also run the NICS check to make sure we don't have evidence to the contrary of what they put down as an answer. I think we're finding that that is insufficient and more needs to be done.

Quote:
And what happens if someone isn't a danger to themself or to others when they buy the gun but become a danger later on?
The same thing that should happen if someone has car keys and gets drunk at a party - they get taken away.

Quote:
Or, what happens if someone is an actual danger (for the sake of argument) and is refused a permit to buy a gun, but become "less insane" and are no longer a danger?
Great! They'd then probably be allowed to complete a purchase. It would depend on what the screening process would look like.

Quote:
Do you believe that people don't change, that circumstances don't change?
No, I do not think those things!
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote