Thread: Grr. Argh. Etc.
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 02:55 AM   #19
Solumina

Now that I got that out of the way I'm gonna try and be helpful. Everybody has privileges they are a set of perceived advantages (or lack of disadvantages) enjoyed by a majority or powerful group, people are usually unaware of the privilege they possess until they actively try to see them.

Some of my privileges are that I'm white, well educated, come from a upper middle/lower upper class family, and I have passing straight privilege because even though I am queer my current partner is a man (passing privilege means that you can sometimes enjoy some of the benefits of that privilege, in many cases because most privileged groups are typically thought of as the default unless there is proof of deviation form that "norm", a common example would be a light skinned person of color having white passing privilege). This may seem like a short list but those all have a multitude of benefits, many of which are quite substantial.

It is important to be aware of the privileges because it gives you perspective of and understanding of both the advantages that you have and the disadvantages that other people face.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote