View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 03:58 AM   #42
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Shall Be Judged View Post
Agreed, his performance was almost faultless. Hamlet's youth is a requirement of the text rather than a flaw in DT's delivery - think about how many times the word youth, or derivatives thereof, are uttered during the play (most frequently with reference to the eponymous Hamlet). It's a major theme which is so often overlooked in analysis, and even more so in performance. Still, as criticisms go, it's fairly minor here.
You're not wrong, but given that Hamlet would have been aged anywhere between 23 and 30, it's not like they picked a 30 yr old man to play Romeo or some shit.

I'll have to try to download this version. I'd imagine Tennant at his best would make a pretty cool Hamlet, and it's not often you go this googly-eyed over something. (Admittedly, you managed to manufacture a practically non-existent fault our of sheer pedantry, but I know you see it as a point of honor to find fault with everything ever made........ so the triviality of your criticism is pretty much a ringing endorsement in itself. ;] )

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote