View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #82
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
I agree. Additionally, any person is capable of extreme violence, I don't care how "sane", balanced, moral or cool you are. Under the right circumstances we are all capable of some pretty heinous shit I mean look up the Stanford prison experiment. Regular people with a shitty attitude towards the other people are far more likely to torture and hurt them than they would some one they see as fully equal to themselves. It would be so much easier for me to prove this point if there were some sort of historical example, like maybe the Holocaust, racial slavery, the persecution of Chinese immigrants in California, or any other situation where there was pronounced social inequality.

All this talk about people who do this stuff being different is just denial of the fact that we are all capable of violence, especially if we don't see the people we're hurting as real people.

Maybe the question isn't "why did these people do this?", but instead "why doesn't every one else?".
Of course anyone is capable of violence. But like you said at the end of your post, what is difference between the seven billion people who didn't shoot up a school and the handful of people who do?
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote