Thread: Hallo G.net;
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #23
cadavre exquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
cadavre exquis I also don't mind small black and white dramas that basically take place on one set and give you a lot to think about ... like "12 Angry Men." ...
The Dorothy Parker mention is much appreciated, although for all her quick wit it always seemed to me that there was one woman who had cheated herself out of having more fun in life because of her own cynicism.
Just read up on this film (12 Angry Men)-it looks very interesting-thankyou for the recommendation!
If you haven't seen it (-which seems unlikely-) may I recommend 'The Third Man', also Ealing comedies, and for kitschy, creepy fun,'60's British Hammer & Ealing portmanteau horror films .
As to Dolly P. , I find her very interesting, apart from the obvious stuff (poems, short stories, aphorisms etc,) in that there are many, fascinating, charismatic personalities (in Camden Market you can buy 'the 27 (years old, as in died-at) club' tee-shirts - yuck) -who didn't survive, and didn't have the chance to fulfill their full potential-and then you have the less idolised faction, (like D.P., who paradoxically, despite her constant morbid poems, and a flirtation with the reaper that included several serious suicide attempts, lived to be about 100)-William Burroughs, Charles Bukowski, Dietrich, Louise Brooks, all lived to ripe old ages (even poor old F.Scott F. lived long enough to be described as out of fashion in his obituaries). I suppose what I'm trying to say-(though goodness knows it's got rather convoluted!)-is that Dorothy Parker had plenty of time to BE Dorothy Parker-beyond the 'prodigy' shtick, beyond her brilliance being tied up, unavoidably, with her sex appeal & charisma-she got (amongst the pain, disappointment & just prosaic shite, that is real life) to be herself, which counts for something-& I hope she had a good few kicks along the ride! -But maybe I've completely mistaken your statement.
If you've had the patience to read the 'bleaugh' for-mentioned, do respond-I do enjoy a good debate (*insert mass-debate joke as applicable*)
cheers x
cadavre exquis is offline   Reply With Quote