View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
AshleyO

I want to talk about abortion again

This isn't exactly about the moral arguments for or against it.

But there is something I find particularly weird about the discussion.

The precept of pro-life is that the fetus has personhood.

The precept of pro-choice is that the unborn is in fact not a person.

I can understand both of these points. I get it. However, there is a stance that I find hard to reconcile with and I have to wonder why this seems to be a legitimate stance and I wonder how they can justify it:

Abortion is wrong. However, abortion should be used in the event that the mother's life is in danger or in the instances of ****.

I have a problem with this stance. If abortion is wrong, it's wrong because you're killing a life. You have to make the equation fair. The unborn = a human life with actual value with certain rights bestowed upon the unborn. In this case, why would it be permissible to execute the unborn due to the nature of the pregnancy and the means of the conception? Why is it okay to kill the unborn if the nature of its conception is the product of ****? The unborn is innocent of this conception. Why would it have to pay for it? Also, in the event that the pregnancy may in fact kill the mother. Again. Not the unborn's fault. Why are we making permissions for abortion in this case if we're dispensing rights to the unborn? Does not this unborn person deserve to live? If a situation occurs in which one may end up being a casualty in the case of justly preserving the rights of a victim, is it then not murder to kill the victim?

I can understand both sides of the coin and obviously stand on the side of pro-choice. What I don't understand is the exceptional stance on abortion. How exactly does that make any kind of judicial and just sense if you're actually suspending the consideration of personhood in the event of certain circumstances that makes the charge of personhood easier to lift?

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote