View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #18
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuckooTuli View Post
I don't understand how that would make it fall down - a woman whose protection hormone/instincts have kicked in would presumably not be seeking an abortion, unless her reasons are strong and sound enough to override said instincts? And if that's the case, that doesn't mean the argument falls down; only that some situations just do not afford a pain-free option, because life can really suck. Unless I'm misunderstanding your point here?

The baby protection instincts can be incredibly strong. For instance, I read a story of a young mother (late 20's/early 30s) who was pregnant with child number 2. In the end of the first trimester she was diagnosed with Cancer. Early stages.

If she aborted the baby, she could have treatment, she'd live to see her other child(2yr old) grow up and have their own kids etc, but she didn't abort the baby, I'm not even sure she had surgery (because it's risky in pregnancy and you can have it briefly under twilight sedation during the second trimester only).

She delivered the baby, was rushed into having treatment, and ended up dying with then second child was less than a year old, leaving her husband to raise two little kids.

That's how powerful those maternal instincts are. You don't care what happens to yourself (or your husband in this case) as long as your child survives.

And that's what I was getting at. I think Desp's argument is a good one, except when you get in the situations above. Was her life worth more than that of her unborn child?

Logically, you'd think that she would just have the abortion because she already had one child, the cancer was in the early stages, she could have a great chance at surviving and living a long life as a mother of one child.

But there is no logic with maternal instincts.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote