View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #22
Apathy's_Child

So, i think most of what I wanted to say to you has already been said to someone else in this thread, about finding your own natural voice: https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=19515

Take note of Humane's post as well. Trying to write heavily formal poetry sounds lame if you do so without knowing anything about form - I personally think formalism is too dated for poetry written today, but in any case, blank verse is better than misused form. Flow and music is more important than rhyming IMO.

If you like fairy tales, don't just go off on a tangent with no thoughts behind it. A poem needs an idea as its driving force, even if you're centering around visual images - preferably original, but at the very least, approached in an interesting way. Best way to get ideas is to know your subject matter - read up on folklore and older fairy tales, check some scholarly criticism to get an idea of how you can use/rework the themes, and look at the darker stuff as well as the cutesey shit (thanks a lot, Shakespeare). Finally, take a look at some more recent adaptations and reworkings.

What kind of poetry do you currently enjoy reading? That'll make it easier for people to recommend stuff you might like.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote