View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 09:17 AM   #28
AshleyO

Quote:
Even if the oppressed had equal access to guns, it doesn't change the fact that they don't have the same right to use them and are more likely going to be punished for it. The point is painfully clear. "Sure, you can defend yourself from death now, but you're just going to get a life sentence for it later. What's the point? You're better off just taking it and if you're a good sport maybe that'll make it easier."
This is exactly what I was kinda thinking too. Okay. So let's say we make the oppressed have the ability to wage destruction just as much as any white man. But then what chance does oppressed civilians have against a militarized police, bombs, and actual military? Case in point, I get what you're saying because what's going to happen is even IF we subsidized and mandated gun ownership, the system is going to criminalize and have probable cause to wage deadly violence against the oppressed at every moment. I admit then that my stance and claim that we should do such a thing is ridiculous on the face of it. But I think it at least turns the conversation away from the white concept of self defense and calls into question what gun rights believers REALLY want. They want to play. I get this feeling that they're not serious people or at least they're not oriented to think about having a gun in the proper sense of why one would ever need one. These kinds of white folk really need to understand that the police, the military, and the government at large isn't interested in oppressing them. How can you be oppressed in your very own house? That's why I feel more or less that gun ownership as we understand it or as it's popularly understood is a middle class brat whine. I just can't take them seriously.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote