View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
BloodFlow

Well, pretty much all the goth bands were really influenced by the arty side of glam rock - basically, anyone with a really theatrical, conceptual approach to glam can be pointed to as an influence on goth. A good album is Psychomodo by Cockney Rebel. Also, anything by Jobriath. Roxy Music is another big one.

A major influence on goth is early Alice Cooper before he was heavy metal, and while "Alice Cooper" was considered a band rather than a solo artist. My favorite is Love it to Death, but the biggest ones are really Killer, Billion Dollar Babies and School's Out.

Scott Walker is someone I've never gotten that much into, but his fans/advocates think he's the greatest thing ever, and he's definitely an interesting guy. He had a long career of experimentation, has a rich baritone . . . he's definitely worth looking into.

I also know that Syd Barrett was a big influence on goths. He was songwriter on the first Pink Floyd album, and he recorded some solo records as an outsider artist. He was basically removed from Pink Floyd because he succumbed to mental illness that was exacerbated by LSD use, so he wound up living with his sister for the rest of his life, only leaving his room to garden recreationally. The entire Wish You Were Here album and parts of Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall are actually about the difficulties that the band had watching their close friend go insane.
BloodFlow is offline   Reply With Quote