View Single Post
Old 03-22-2006, 09:13 AM   #6418
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shi'ark
I was happy it was closed, I was getting tiered of have that stupid argument with that wanker. Next time I will have to just ignore them. I think a fight is what some are after.
Shi'ark, there's no small amount of wisdom in that thought. Many emotional conversations that happen here occur because the person actually just wants conflict.

The trick is to determine early on what people's motivations are. And that is not easy. For instance, I can debate with the best of folks. And I will on occasion even take an opposing point of view just for the sake of argument ... playing devil's advocate. But if I notice either myself or another participant getting too emotional, I try to be aware of that and step away from the table.

This is a lovely place to chat, share ideas, inspire and inform each other, and even entertain each other. But it just shouldn't be a blood pressure raising experience ... unless that is the result of reading some of the wonderful horror and suspense writing featured on this site.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick