View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 03:21 AM   #16
Solumina

The point of an age of consent is that people under that age are not legally able to give consent because the state does not feel that they are competent enough to do so. I think it is fucking stupid that in the US you have to be eighteen to consent to things when there is no real difference in the mental and emotional maturity of sixteen year olds and eighteen year olds, which is why most countries have sixteen as their age of consent (some have even lower ages). Many places have provisions for minors to have sex with people in a certain age range (typically three years but it varies), which is because the laws are intended to keep predatory individuals from going for the young, inexperienced, and vulnerable minors, not preventing people within their peer group from having sex with one another. I think we can all agree that an eighteen year old fooling around with a fourteen year old is a fucked up dynamic no matter how you try an look at it, developmentally they are just at such different stages and so outside of each other's peer group that the eighteen year old simply deciding to pursue any sexual relationship is a predatory action.

It's 3:15 and statutory r@pe is a slightly complex issue so I tried making a point as best as I could, I hope it made a little sense.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote