View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 03:54 AM   #13
Ben Lahnger

A TRIP TO TENERIFE - 10

Sent : Tuesday, February 7, 2006 7:37 AM
Subject : Mt. Teide part 3

Map Of Parque Nacional Del Teide, With Restaurant Teide Location Highlighted

This picture is the resturaunt were we are eating. Our tour guide calls it "Pepe's Place." I would have taken more pictures here, but the wind outside is just too brisk!

Low Resolution Picture Of Restaurant Sign And Entrance

-----------------------------------------------------------

Sent : Tuesday, February 7, 2006 10:19 AM
Subject : Mt. Teide part 3

Lunch at Resturaunt Tiede in "Las Canadas del Tiede" featured traditional Canary fare. I had a kind of hard roll, Canarian vegitable soup (onions, carrots, cabbage and peas), some small whole potatoes that appeared to have been prepared or cooked in brine (the skins were very salty) and chicken in salmorejo sauce (falling off the bone tender). All was enjoyed with a local red wine (not sweet at all) and then I had some mousse for desert. Very fine fare and very filling indeed!

Here is a link to the RECIPE for the potatoes ("Papas Arrugadas") and the Mojo sauces you serve with them. I liked these a lot:

http://www.discoverlanzarote.com/papas_arrugadas.asp

We were supposed to go a little higher to an ideal photography location, but when we got there we encountered high gusting winds. The bus driver was concerned that the wind was driving pelting rocks into the windows, and he thought it might break out a window. To be honest, I could have taken some great pictures there, but did not think it was worth getting stoned to do it. So I suppose I will buy a postcard or two to remember the view.

(I searched for and found the following pics on the internet when I came back)

Mount Teide's Majestic Peak

Another View Of Teide's Peak

I was disappointed to learn that several years ago they discontinued allowing people to take cable car rides up to the peak, so we couldn't do that. I was also disappointed that the tour did not include a stop at the Russian observatory here, but I suppose you can't include everything in one day.

By the way, when you're driving down a mountain and you go through thick clouds, it's just like fog. Also, if you ever go up a mountain, be SURE to bring a jacket. I almost decided to leave mine in my room ... and that would have been a big mistake!

more later...

PLEASE RESERVE COMMENTS UNTIL I COMPLETE POSTING ALL THE ENTRIES.
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote