View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #28
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
Okay, I was going to respond to this - but I don't think, judging by your last post - I don't think you're interested in understanding where I'm coming from and I don't think that I can trust you to continue to argue in good faith about this.
I understand because I was an atheist. Hell, even now, when I don't really want to talk about religion, I tell people I'm an atheist. So far, I've been pretty okay. This isn't an obscure thing that I have no idea about, I've lived it for years and I still lay claim to the identity sometimes to give myself a break.

Quote:
I'll just address your last point, and then take Kontan's advice.

Good lord no. Why would I want to do that? That's exhausting.

Atheists already confront all religions at all times, simply by existing.
Except atheist religions. Don't forget those.

Quote:
There is literally no way I can't because there's no truce between positive belief and a lack of positive belief. You can't say: "maybe it's the same God under different names. You can't say "maybe it's all a piece of the truth". Disbelief and belief don't mix. Period. The only options we have is to make this confrontation known, or to shut up about it & hide.
That's not really how universalism works. For example, everyone was freaking out recently because Pope Francis said that atheists will go to heaven anyway if they're good people. This isn't exactly new, it was established in Vatican II and really he's just breaking it down for those who don't really bother learning about Vatican II (while John Paul II and Benny didn't really contradict Vatican II, they didn't really promote it either). The reason why it doesn't matter is because God is bigger than faith, religion and church. He saves who he wants to save, the Church has no control over that. They can't, and it would be blasphemous to say so. You can't say who's saved and not saved, its not ours to know.

So they still think all other religions are wrong and misguided and Catholicism is the only revelation, they just think that maybe Buddha experienced God and was confused about it, and started Buddhism. It doesn't matter what you believe if God decided to save you.

Quote:
You want to know what I want? I want it to not be important. I'd like to not have to hide who I am from my relatives, my employers and my fiancée's family.

Also, fuck you for accusing my friend and fellow activist of being disingenuous and engaging in a "cheap ploy to legalize a drug." you don't know anything about him, or his religion.
You're accusing him of that when you say he's using religious privilege to legalize a drug. This is why I'm pointing out that you saying he's pulling privilege is bullshit.

And you probably will be okay if you declare you're atheist. Because it actually isn't a big deal. You might have some disagreements, and that's all that will happen to you. Fuck, my uncle is a cop and argues about religion with coworkers and inmates and nothing happens. Like he can do anything and no one will care aside for wanting to argue with him.

I asked this question because I remember once you said that I was using "the masters tools" when I said that my own religious experience is hard to describe. Because apparently not describing my religious experience for you to pick apart is akin to racism in the feminist movement.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote