Thread: New Pope
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2005, 10:23 AM   #13
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loy
Asurai-considering that every pope since Blessed John XXIII has had inter-faith communication of all kinds with religious heads of all stripes, and said heads have had no qualms about coming to the table or discussing/debating differences and similarities, and both sides have walked away at peace with each other, your statement suggesting that something like this could never happen seems a bit....well, absurd.

....as far as the new pope thing is concerned, all I can think is "wow....another religious head I won't pay attention to". I mean, c'mon people, how many of you are A-catholic, B-PRACTICING catholic, and C-actually affected by this guys stance on these things? I mean, yeah, it would have been nice to have another Blessed John XXIII (who, by the way, pissed off a lot of the church during his papacy by trying to find a common ground between church dogma and modern life.....something to point out whenever people pull the "popes don't wanna modernise the church), but catholics have this guy....ho hum.
Actually, if he is as intolerant as he sounds he'll spread that to those that see him as some supreme being.Those people are the ones that we see every day.I don't think the man himself could have any effect on me, personally.But I live in an area(now) that's heavily populated with catholics, so if they take his teachings to heart then, yes, that affects me.

If he teaches that gays are evil or demonic, that affects the members of the gay community, re:gay-bashing is okay cuz the pope says they're evil/demonic.

If he tells people that catholicism is the only righteous path that will have an affect on those of us not catholic in some way or another.

I'm reminded of a metaphor about a moth's wings on one side of the world creating a tornado or something on the other side. :?
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote