View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 03:56 AM   #16
Ben Lahnger

A TRIP TO TENERIFE - 12b

Sent : Thursday, February 9, 2006 1:59 PM
Subject : Lanzarote! part 1b

It was a long and amazing day, and I will send some pictures along in this and the following e-mails to show a few highlights. Yes, we rode a camel. I did get some pics with the digital camera, and Dad bought a couple copies of the oficial photo of us together on the camel, but you will have to wait to see those. You really can't hold onto and focus your pda cellphone camera at the same time you are trying to stay on to your camel!

(Ed. - Actually, here are the camel pics!)

Our Camel, Up Close And Personal

Dad And I Riding The Camel

A Caravan Of Camel Riders

And you really do have to hold on. It's not easy to describe the herky-jerky motion that a camel ride entails, but is it really hard to stay in your seat ... especially going down hill. The best way to describe it is to think (while you look at the picture below) that each seat is swinging around in a "figure 8" motion, and the two seats are reversed "figure 8's" from each other ... in other words, when the camel's step threw my seat forward, my Dads seat lurched back. And we were both fascinated by how their feet work ... kind like a very flexible snowshoe that spreads out 25% upon contact with the ground. And up close, the camel is an ugly and goofy looking animal. Needless to say, a 15 minute ride was plenty for us. But, I CAN now say I've ridden a camel!

(Ed. - Also, here are a couple of pictures of the surreal landscape we were starting to encounter)

A Volcanic Field With Hils In The Distance

Another View Of A Lava Field

--------------------------------------------------------------

As I've mentioned earlier, "Planet of the Apes" was filmed here. Looking at those photos should give you an idea why, as well as some insight into the following from www.lanzarote.com:

Lanzarote´s lunar landscape provided the ideal setting for many successful films. Scenes from the movie 'One Million Years B.C.' from 1966 were shot in the national park of Timanfaya. Keen movie enthusiasts, or indeed Rachel Welch fans will recognise the green lagoon as that of El Golfo.

Other notable movies filmed on Lanzarote:

• Moby Dick. 1956
• When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth. 1972
• Journey to the Centre of the Earth 1976
• Doctor Who TV Series (The Caves Of FIre) 1984
• Enemy Mine. 1986
• The Search for Treasure Island. 1997

PLEASE RESERVE COMMENTS UNTIL I COMPLETE POSTING ALL THE ENTRIES.
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote