View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #292
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Saya, what makes you think a questionnaire is the only possible form of mental health screening? It could easily take the form of extended counciling / therapy. Maybe involving multiple professionals to make a determination. That's just one theoretical, it could be done in any number of ways.
But that is a) an invasion of privacy b) as I have demonstrated earlier, extremely costly to either the person in question or the taxpayer, no one will vote for that. Its controversial to ask employers not to ban birth control from their insurance coverage and was spun that sluts want the taxpayer to pay for their birth control. I can't imagine that going over well. c) absolutely ineffective for many you fear, such as sociopaths. d) extremely discriminatory against the mentally ill.

I find it hilarious you're accusing us of saying we should do nothing, when we have suggested things like hey, maybe no one should have assault rifles instead of just discriminating against the mentally ill. Saying only the mentally ill should be barred is at best a bandaid on a person who's brain is hanging out the back of his head.

Quote:
A person suffering from Acute Stress Disorder, by way of one example, may suffer from symptoms of

a subjective sense of numbing, detachment, or absence of emotional responsiveness, A reduction in awareness of his or her surroundings, Derealization, Depersonalization, Dissociative amnesia

These are desirable traits in someone owning and operating firearms?
You know such a disorder can be brought on at any time in life? One could have bought a firearm in their twenties and in their forties suffer from ASD. I myself have suffered from those symptoms in my late teens, am I forever a irresponsible person, for the rest of my life? I, who has never ever been violent? The worst I've ever done was roughhouse with my sister when we were young. But any frat boy who rraped and brawled in his late teens who is "mentally fit" may have a firearm? Or hey, since you earlier said that soldiers have to be made mentally unfit in order to do violence, why are soldiers then responsible enough to have guns, even when they've killed people?

Quote:
Mental breakdown, not clinical terminology so it doesn't exist.
What exists? It depends on what you're talking about. "Mental breakdown" is not a clinical term because its way too vague and covers too many things. You might refer to me having an acute panic attack a mental breakdown, and a person who falls into heavy delusions as having a mental breakdown, but our two different experiences are unique, treated very differently and clinically not the same at all.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote