View Single Post
Old 05-06-2005, 01:36 PM   #4
Asurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeapotScar
Now, if I know anything about schools, and I do, they *need* that government funding, to keep providing the level of academic services that they do. But does the government have the right to control the open-ness of the school to the military, if they're funding it? That's where things get really sticky. In a perfect society, I'd say no, because the government promotes freedom of speech, open ness and equalilty, so there should be no pressure.
The government should promote freedom of speech and open-ness, so it should therefore keep a particular viewpoint off of campuses? (Campi?)

And yes, they need the money. But it's government money, which means that the government decides whether or not you get it -- schools don't have a right to it. If they decide that they're going to screw the government, then the government can simply withhold funding. In short: Uncle Sam isn't obligated to help institutions that spit in his face.

Quote:
It's a place of learning, should the students also be bombarded with military recruitment questions, as well? I think not- Military recruitment has its place, as does learning. And those are seperate places, in my opinion.
Why are they necessarily separate? I'm sure that the cadets of West Point would disagree with you. And considering that the military needs educated, intelligent officers -- not brainless drones ;-- I would say that a college campus is the perfect place for them to pick up ideal officer material.

Quote:
Okay, so this is a whole other issue- whether or not the government has the right to overturn the law schools' policy on not letting discriminatory employers on their campus. Well, considering the government is *way* behind the times, here- I'm with the law schools. Their policy is just and should not be over-turned.
No it's not. The issue isn't whether the government has the right to overturn their policy, it's whether the government is obligated to continue to fund institutions that disagree with their policy and actively kick out government institutions.

If a university wants to disallow the military because of policy differences, then that's their right. But the government then reserves the right to withdraw its funding of that institution.
Asurai is offline   Reply With Quote