View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 03:50 AM   #9
Ben Lahnger

A TRIP TO TENERIFE - 07a

We left the hotel to walk downtown, and I took this picture up the hill of the narrow switchback road that leads up to our hotel. A reoccurring theme throughout our trip will be how much real estate is scarce and used economically. Would you park here?

A View Up The Switchback Road Leading To Our Hotel

As we walked downhill, this was my first sighting of the ocean:

Our First View Of The Ocean

-----------------------------------------------------------

Sent : Monday, February 6, 2006 2:35 PM
Subject : Walking the Beach (part a)

Dad and I spent the day walking along the beachfront of Puerto de La Cruz. We did a LOT of walking. I am glad we are taking a bus tour tomorrow!

We stopped at a lot of little shops along the way, and I bought a DVD disk with videos, 150 photos and music from Tenerife. I also picked up a pendant made of volcanic rock. It has an image of the sun engraved in it and I like the looks of it. Plus it was crafted in the Canary Islands by handicapped people, so my purchase helped them.

The Hand Crafted Pendant Made Of Lava That I Bought

Next was our first close-up encounter with the ocean. Here was an early hint of the beauty this islands coastlines would hold for us:

Lava Rocks In The Surf

Along the beach we also encountered an ancient Spanish fort. I wish we'd have had a tour guide to tell us a bit of history about it.

A Spanish Fort Overlooking The Ocean

Obviously, it was used by the Spanish to defend the coastline here. I could not climb down the outer fort wall to take a proper picture, and the part we could see was integrated into the newer shops and restaurants, so this was the best picture I could take. It was obvious it had been used in the 1700's, as the cannon was imprinted with the year 1733:

Close-Up Of Cannon Inscription

A Little further on, we encountered a walkway boardering the sea. Below it, the large cubes of volcanic rock are obviously a man-made breakwater to stop erosion of the coastline:

Giant Cubes Of Lava Rock Carved And Placed To Form A Breakwater

Here, my Dad steps up to the edge of the walkway to take a picture just as the surf splashes up from the breakwater. I was enchanted by the aquamarine color of the waves:

My Dad Dodges The Surf For That Perfect Photo

We also observed that the large cubes of lava that made up the breakwater also served other purposes:

A Tern Braves The Sea Spray For Breakfast

We walked a bit further down the coast, and encountered this view that hinted at the wide variety of plants and flowers we would see all over this island:

Cactuses And Other Local Flora

(continued next)
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote