View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
That said, El Paso is 80% hispanic, so let's see how different it becomes when I move to a northern city.
That's kind of one of the reasons I ask.

Like, black people in the U.S. experience it within their communities but I'm not sure it's the same for us as it is elsewhere. To name a few things, our media, education, entertainment, are dominated by white representation, and we have a lot of eurocentric attitudes and values that got picked up from slavery and even those are expressed differently across gender. Among women, there is a lot of animosity because of the influence on perceptions of beauty. The "good hair," the "good skin," ect. It's evident and tangible and it creates a lot of anxiety for the women with darker skin or more afro phenotype characteristics and identity problems among those black women with lighter skin.

I was wondering about how you see it as a male and between Mexico and the U.S. From my understanding, it's a big deal in a lot of places influenced by imperialism and I wanted to compare to places where communities that experience it are made up of the minority.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote