Thread: The Beer Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #77
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjob View Post
Guinness. THREAD CLOSED.
I pick this because it is the first of the guiness posts, but if you want a Stout - and I mean a stout that all other stouts call "Absolutely Fucking Stout," try to find St Ambroise Oatmeal Stout (also called St Ambroise Noir). It is the stoutest stout that has ever stouted my taste buds. Also has a bucketload of iron in it, so for beer lovers who are anemic (and even anemic beer likers, you could probably get used to it), I think it's the way to go. It works better than the iron pills the doc gives out. Has much flavours of coffee and dark chocolate (both of which I despise, but I still count St Ambroise among my top 2 - tied with Aventinus - and I REALLY love beer)

Other than that, I like Aventinus by Sneider & Sohn for its richness and flavour. I *takes break for rabbit stew* like Warsteiner - they're a generally good brewery - but their Dunkel wheat beer is particularly good. Weihenstaphaner is excellent as well. I also like Caledonian 80/-, which has something of a long-standing reputation. St Peter's Ale is nice, organic, and comes in a bottle that makes one thing of medicine. The Hosten Brewery is a good one too, and they make a Maibock and a Festbock that I *really* like.
I also hope that the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) carries Black Witch in October (same people who make Hobgoblin), since it's something of a Halloween beer, tastes awesome and has an eminently displayable bottle.
Kilkenney is very good and a pub-favourite for me, with a very solid, fine, soft head and good flavour. Smithick's is a pub-fav for me as well, but I tend toward German and English beers when buying at the LCBO.
What started me on beer (despite my German heritage :P Germans are stereotypical beer drinkers), is Innis & Gunn. It's a Scottish beer that's done in old whiskey casks, and is a very good high-quality beginner beer. It has a good flavour, but none of that bitter, annoying aftertaste that the crappy beers like Labat and Budweiser (badweiser?) and such things try to reduce by making them comparable to sex in a canoe.

I also like Fruli and this raspberry beer that I just tried today (and may I say it is absolutely phenomenal with apple-cinnamon waffles), though I think of them as more desert beers, if such a concept exists. They are extremely om-nom-nom-nom, like Strawberry (or raspberry) Daquiry, but for people who want beer instead of cocktails.

Trappist beer is excellent, though a rare treat for me due to its price for small quantities. Chimay makes several good brews, and I have even seen it in largish bottles (in contrast to the usual Belgian - especially good Belgian - habbit of bottling in a smaller 1/3 litre bottle). I like to call Trappist beer "God-Beer," when suggesting to my friends that they try it, since God said "Make beer," so they spent 500 years perfecting it...

In any case, I really like trying new beers, and the LCBO has a decent rotation of them. As long as they bring back Black Witch for Halloween....

Wolfie: One drinks beer because one likes beer (unless one drinks Coors, Bud, Labat, or maybe even JR, though it's better than most super-cheap beers, and cheaper as well.
Pineapple Try buying the more expensive beers - they range from good to excellent. Just... drink less of them. I don't spend less than 2.50 Canadian dollars on a beer, unless it comes in 6-packs, the only one of which I get is St Ambroise Noir (though it is possible that you don't like beer). If you really want to like beer, just keep drinking good beer for a while, and you'll grow to like it soon enough.
Vidicated Jin Do you like black licorice? If you don't, that's probably a good reason why you don't like absinthe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
You fail. tencharacters
You are correct, my friend.

Must mention - First reply is a reply that pains my beer-loving heart.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote