View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #120
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Of course not every member of a society, a political party, or a class did horrible things or were mentally ill. The members of said groups who committed grotesque abuses of other human beings, though, those guys were!
Well I'm some glad you weren't around during the Nuremburg trials to tell everyone to let them go, they're just mentally ill and the poor souls simply lacked access to mental healthcare.

Terrible things were encouraged, permissable, and normal during different times in history. In ancient Rome, it would be totally normal and expected for older men to **** little boys and slaves. It was totally acceptable and normal for white men to **** their slaves not too long ago. Did every single white man who did such things mentally ill, and did so because they were mentally ill? Were all our ancestors who colonized North America mentally ill? Are entire nations mentally ill when they go to war with their neighbour? When lynching was normal, did the whole town become mentally ill?

Quote:
Fear is a poor choice of terminology. Any kind of illness is by definition a dysfunction, so of course it means there is "something wrong". What and how much of an impact it might have can vary.
I don't understand how this addresses my question. And you still haven't answered my other question; why are middle to upper class white guys who have access to mental health care far more likely to commit mass murder than PoC, who are far less likely to get mental health care, and/or women?

Quote:
So, sociopathy has never been in the DSM. You know what was at one point? Being gay! The DSM is far from an inviolate authority. There's a reason it's coming up on the fifth major revision. It was wrong when it defined homosexuality as a mental illness back in an earlier edition and I'm sure it will continue to become less wrong in the future.
Its not just the DSM, its just simply not used as a mental health diagnosis, its used in the criminal system. And regardless, if you think the DSM is wrong because you, the armchair psychologist says so, why are you trying to argue that people have better access to mental healthcare which you apparently think is wrong? Why are you trying to use mental illness as an excuse for white violence when you know so little about mental illness?

Quote:
"Might probably be a sociopath" - haha, yeah, like there's a realistic scenario where he wasn't. Maybe it was actually a very sophisticated ruse in order to fool people into believing a character he was playing. He was actually a gentle, caring soul (when not holding a hammer).
Again, sociopath doesn't mean "a person does fucked up things", it has a criteria that needs to be met. Some killers who do terrible things are sociopaths, others are not. Besides, apparently it wasn't so bad that he only got manslaughter, is your justice system pathological for thinking that's not such a serious kind of murder?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote