View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 03:05 AM   #6
Jaye Jang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
I have remained deliberately ignorant because I sometimes have difficulty dealing with my anger about things that I cannot control.
I can relate. However, in my case I don't get deliberately ignorant, so much as self-destructive. For example, I work with a person who thinks I'm totally incompetent and treats me like an idiot. If I didn't need the job so badly (pays my rent, etc.), the equitable thing to do would be to quit. Otherwise, the professional thing would be to just do such a good job that I didn't give this person fuel for her fire, but instead I mess up whenever she's around. Last week, she was on vacation and I didn't make even one mistake on my job. As soon as she came back, I started messing up (last night I made four major errors back-to-back). I don't do it deliberately, but I just sometimes wonder what makes ME tick. I had to finally walk away from my job last night for awhile and ask myself how much I really wanted the job. (I already know I need the job, so that's a moot point). I finally decided that I want and need the job enough that I can't let this woman's obviously negative attitude get to me, so I HAVE to find ways to focus and not mess up when she's around. I also need to find a professional, objective way to find out what's eating her, and work around that so that her negative attitude does not affect my work flow. So, it's a learning curve. (Sometimes when you have an 'ax to grind', you have to 'bury the hatchet' -- and not in somebody else's head).
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote