Thread: New Pope
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2005, 03:42 PM   #10
Asurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeapotScar
Haha, it's good to have you back, Asurai.

You're right- he's not a Nazi.
:shock: Well, that's not the welcome that I expected from you. But it is appreciated.

Quote:
This is the man who's main plan is to open inter-faith talks... I don't trust him.
That line is basically political bullshit to get elected. With whom is he going to open inter-faith talks? Protestant Christians would probably be mostly civil, but they're almost alone. Reform Jews would show up, but not the Orthodox, and any talk with Jews that doesn't involve them is basically a sham. Islam would probably join the talks on condition that the Pope apologize for the crusades and make a dozen other concessions that will never be made. A few open Muslims would likely be interested in talks, but, as with the Jews, it would be a sham to include them without their traditionalists.

Buddhists are cool, though. But I don't see much being accomplished by an inter-faith dialogue between Buddhists and the Vatican.

As I said, the "inter-faith talks" line is to the Papacy the equivalent of our American "I will improve education." A few half-handed attempts will be made, then it's on to business as usual.
Asurai is offline   Reply With Quote