View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #153
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
How many times has it be said that one can't do anything about privilege, just be aware that it's there?
Despanan has evolved incredibly in the last four years, and yet you give him more flak than numerous conservative and even racist members we have had.
You're right. People cannot suddenly be absolved from the structures in society despite how much their ideologies to enforce or challenge those structures change. Despanan has changed. I can see that. I think it's fair to say that everybody has changed from since I joined and further back. There are also persistent problems, and they are addressed.

Quote:
you didn't try to teach him shit; hell, I don't even think you were that offended initially. Otherwise your response wouldn't have been a patronizing "slavery, huh?"
You're right, again. I did not try to teach him anything (in this thread), and I was not very offended initially. I suspect outrage was what people expected from me and so that's what they saw. I don't know why it is my responsibility to teach him and why that absence constitutes me giving him a harder time then anybody else (if I understand you correctly) or why my anger and benevolent wisdom are necessary for me to care about something or why it's so hard to believe that I actually don't just make this shit up.

Quote:
I stand by my initial assessment: This thread is an idiotic post-colonial dick-waving contest ever since you took it upon yourself to be the arbiter on what constitutes slavery.
But I didn't take it upon myself to be the arbiter of what constitutes slavery. The Magdelin laundries are a modern manifestation of slavery, and I never argued against that, though you and a few others thought that is what I was trying to say. Neither did I ever draw a comparison between American slavery of blacks and the Magdelin laundries; the differences are obvious, nobody tried to compare the two, and it would be unnecessary to say that the former was generally many steps worse. This was never a question.

I responded because I see a problem. I did it in a very unconstructive way and still had difficulty communicating it. What's pissing me off now is that I have to articulate it so perfectly that it can breach the walls of colorblind racism to be accepted as a problem, rather then people just believing that I don't take this shit lightly and wouldn't say anything if I didn't have to.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote