View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #71
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Morey View Post
People who say Stephen King sucks generally fall into two categories:

1. Contrarians ("Oh, that something that I like is popular now, that means I'll stop liking it.")
2. Literary snobs ("There's not enough purple prose in this writing, and the author isn't using a thesaurus to find archaic adjectives in every sentence!")

King rose to the forefront in fiction because of his skill. There were plenty of other horror authors during the time of his rise that didn't see anything close to a similar ascent.
OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD!!! WE ARE ACTUALLY HAVING A CONVERSATION ABOUT LITERATURE! IN THE LITERATURE FORUM!!!

SQUEEEE!

I reiterate: I am SO fucking proud of you Chris_Morey. You have come such a long way.

Anyway, on Stephen King:

Once again: I am not a fan. From what I have read (granted not much) I find his prose abominable, and his characters cliche'd and uninteresting. Granted I'm basing this opinion off one book (Cell) and the various Stephen King movies I've seen (IT, Rose Red, The shining remake, that vampire one, Pet Cemetery, The Langoliers etc.)

There are some good ideas he's working with but more often than not in my experience MAN OH MAN is the execution off.

This is not to say that I wouldn't give his work another chance, given the opportunity. With a body of work as large as his there are bound to be some gems.

That Said Chris, you're right on the money about Meyer, the woman has no talent. I'm not sure how she managed to strike such a chord with popular culture, perhaps simple luck? right place and time? (coupled with some awesome cover-art and a slick marketing campaign).

My roommate keeps telling me that I need to just write some overly simplistic/formulaic bullshit to appeal to the average idiot, but I'm not convinced. My opinion on the matter is that Marketing is what made twilight what it was, and luck got it published in the first place. Shit without luck and marketing is just shit at the end of the day.

Your opinion as an industry professional?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote