View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #29
Languor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Wait, what? I really don't understand this as a reaction to a pretty straightforward question that seemed like a logical followup to your post. I've got no idea where you are coming from.

I don't want anyone here to feel that they cannot express their opinion or entering any discussion here, and I would never attack someone just for joining in a conversation, but that doesn't mean that anyone is going to get treated with kid gloves. Your opinions will be analyzed and challenged. Your personal biases and privileges will not be out of bounds, they are an integral part of social justice discussions. I'm sorry if you don't see that connection and that you felt attacked, that wasn't the intent, bringing up how someone's privilege may be coloring their view is pretty par for the course in these kinds of things, Saya certainly has checked my privilege a fair few times. It's uncomfortable and anger is a pretty normal reaction but you just have to think about it, even if you think she is wrong it is helpful to ponder why it may come across that way to others.
How can you talk about the privilege of someone you don't know anything about? All you know is that I'm female. Any other idea you've gleamed from my words is pure speculation. The only really useful social privileges in a patriarchal society are maleness and whiteness. Economic and class privilege is sometimes awarded to those who own those privileges (or align themselves with people who do).
None of this should have been about me. It's ok for you guys to check each other's privilege because you know each other's privilege.
It's taking the easy way out to say "you don't like something I like because you have privilege".
Languor is offline   Reply With Quote