View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
AshleyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistsofFury View Post
I am still a believer in freedom of speech! Everyone has the right to say their piece. If you hate it call em an asshole. If they don't listen stop listening to them. There is a big difference between speech and action. Even though yes speech is an action.

But a sidenote to freedom of speech: slander and libel. If you are a public figure and you talk shit about another public figure and it is proven the shit talked was not factual..there's a court cases all the time for that stuff. Whud about freedom of speech? The difference is that the lies are printed instead of spoken?
If that were enough, the matter would be settled.

I'm simply owning up to my opposition of the concept of free speech.

Female bloggers who cry out for social justice (an exercise of free speech) are immediately sent threats of ****, torture, and murder. Some are so bombarded with these threats that they are forced to go into hiding or to never blog again. And the liberal demands that they endure this treatment for the preservation of the right to send out abusive language at those that are oppressed.

But take comfort in knowing that while I am owning up to my opposition to the concept of free speech, it doesn't mean there's really much I can do about it. If it were that simple, the matters of privilege and oppression would have been solved a very long time ago and we wouldn't be having this conversation. The only solution that I could endorse that counters free speech is for the regulation of speech on the terms of the oppressed. As it stands now; the freedom of speech lends too much safety to those with the privilege to not even be offended when they're called a cracker.

Free speech is fun and all. Unless under free speech, you're the one having to endure the language of the privileged oppressors.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote