View Single Post
Old 12-28-2015, 05:34 AM   #10
Stormbringer

Amazing! Wow. I must say I wholeheartedly approve. I'm all for one style influencing another, no matter how far removed from each other they are in space or, as here, in time. It happens in all the other art forms, so why not music.

One of the prime example of this to my mind is one of my all time favourite songs, Evanescence's 'Lachrymosa' which uses material from Mozart's Requiem.

I really liked Igorrr's 'Tout Petit Moineau' - obviously a classically trained singer. Corpo Mente had a Spanish flamenco aspect to it - again very evocative. The vid also reminded me of the 1920s photography of Man Ray. But that video by the beach with the spooky child was brilliant. Igorr's other piece uses harpsichord music by the 18th century Italian composer Domenico Scarlatti (hence the title), and didn't really appeal to me as much as the other two but thanks for including it.

I've been listening to Baroque music since 1984 - there's about 150 years worth of it! Not all of it is excellent, like all styles it produced sublime masterworks alongside hackwork. While many of the Baroque composers are household names, there are many others that are still virtually unknown. Joseph Nicolas Pancrace-Royer is certainly one. Are you familiar with Enigma? Primarily their 'MCMXC' album. Beautiful, dark, mysterious and sexy - but then it's French!
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote