Thread: Gun free zones
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #106
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05 View Post
Anyone else notice that Gun free zones are a magnet for spree shooters?
You could have fooled me.

In Ireland we had like 12 gun deaths last year and in the UK they had like 40.

So thats two countries with a combine total of about 70 MILLION people and a total number of gun deaths around 50 TOTAL.

NYC alone has what? Over 12,000 a YEAR? America has close to 60,000 a year if you don't include suicide and accidents (then the number jumps to about 100,000).

I would argue spree shooters are not happening in places where guns are more strictly monitored.

In Ireland and the UK guns are not illegal as many think. You can join a gun club and then legally buy weapons, just not handguns. You have to fill out lots of forms and get permission from the government, in a manner similar to what people in America do for a concealed weapons permit. They also come by your home once a year to check on your gun and see your shooting log which tracks the ammo you purchase (you by law must keep a log of all rounds spent).

Some say that this system is an attack on the rights of gun owners, and that once they get a list of gun owner names it's a short step to taking them away...

...yet the Supreme Court just ruled that Americans must carry papers with them at all times else they may be stopped by the police and asked for their 'papers please', and the same crowd complaining about stricter gun laws have no problem with this.

I'm glad to say I live in a country with sensible gun laws where the right people have guns, hunters can still hunt, and I don't have to worry about being stopped and arrested for not having my 'papers' with me.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote