View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 06:56 AM   #7
BourbonBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I hate that I can only think of pop culture references off the top of my head, sorry! Obviously you know way more about views of women's sexuality within your community, but as a whole the concept of virginity, especially in the states, was assumed for white women and denied to women of colour.
Nah, it's cool and understandable. There's not many known female Hispanics that aren't hypersexualized in one form or another in pop culture. The only one that I can think of is Michelle Rodriguez, but she's more tomboyish. There's virtually none in office at the state and federal office with the exception of Sonia Sotomayer of the U.S. Supreme Court, and even when she went to the Senate to be confirmed she caught a lot of flack.

I actually find it kind of frustrating looking at the women in my community sometimes. Because I see so much wasted potential when so many want to come off as "ghetto" rather than be community leaders and actually strive to improve the situation at a higher level. The ones who aren't trying to come off as "ghetto" and earning an education or go into the military are often seen as uptight or as wannabe white. Like "how dare they try to improve their situation in life?"

That is a strange mind fuck AshleyO. Part of me wants to find the root of that, the other part thinks I've already found the base watching that video.
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote